Wat Rajorasaram (Wat
Rajaoros) is situated on the
bank of the Darn canal, Bangkhunthien, Thonburi, near Wat Nang and
Wat Nangnong. It is named Raja Orasaram it build by Prince Chesadabodin,
a son of King Rama II. A temple build during the Ayutthaya Period,
occupied this site called Wat Chomthong, It was a small temple used
by commoners situated in a shady orchard. During the Second Reign,
in 1820, there was a remour that the Burmese were preparing another
invasion of Siam. King Rama II therefore sent an army led by his
son Prince Chesadabodin, the future King Rama III, to the frontier
at Kanchanaburi. On the way he stopped at this temple and performed
the boak khlon thawan ceremony as prescribed for troops marching
off to war in the ancient treatise on warfare. When the rainy season
of 1821 arrived and the Burmese army had not appeared, the prince
led his army back to the capital. Later, the ordered the temple
to be renovated using plaster as a major materials, because it was
more durable than wood. King Rama II bestowed on it the name "Wat
Rajaoros". The rebuilding took 14 years, the celebrations on
its completion being held in 1831.
The temple has a spacious compound.
Important building and objects include the phra vihara and their
ornaments, which are in the Chinese-style favored by King Rama III.
Under a pikul tree near the phra ubosot, there is a much revered
dais which was occupied by King Rama III when he visited the temple
to view the progress of its construction.
The Phra Vihara Phra Buddhasaiyat
was constructed on a tall pedestal surrounded by 32 chedi.